Shoes with the first coat dye on which is supposed to be Navy probably will get darker as more coats are applied.
1980 shoes after the second coat of dye
It seems to me that the instep part opf the 1790 shoe is higher so this is my idea of how to do this. I found a bit of strong cardboard put it inside the shoes tried them on to see if they were still comfortable and they were fine. I now will paint the cardboard then glue them in place cover the top end with petersham.
They look a bit odd at the moment but I am sure once the petersham is on and they are glued into place they will be fine. they need another coat of dye then the pertersham on the top and glue into to the shoes clip on the buckles and I believe they will book not bad.
1980's made to look like 1790's
When I started the fortnightly historical sewing I made the decision that I would only use items and materials that I had already in the house and up to date all that I have had to buy was tape for the waist of the 1790 skirt and petticoat.
Since starting this venture into the 18th century I have found it very interesting but as I have only made Regency to Edwardian before it means I do not have the underpinnings for that era, the result of this is that I have to do things before I even start the challenge eg., I cannot make the Caraco Jacket until there is a corset made. I am looking forward to making this as it will be a change to flatten my front as opposed to a curvy silhouette.